Thursday, August 20, 2015

Recipe Club: Mexican Cheese and Corn Stuffed Pasta Shells


As you might’ve seen in my 25 Things About Me post, I love Tex-Mex food.  My mom and I started making this recipe years ago, and it has become a regular in our house.  You can add or eliminate ingredients based on your needs and wants, and another bonus-- they freeze perfectly!  I have made up multiple dishes of these at a time, and I always freeze the extra.  They thaw out and bake exactly as if you had put it together that day.

I'm linking up with Buns in My Oven and Lambert's Lately to share this easy weeknight (or weekend) meal! 

Side Note: This is a perfect dish to make up for a mom-to-be or family who is in need of a little help.  The person can easily pull it out of the freezer, and dinner is ready in no time!


Here’s what you need:
1 box of jumbo pasta shells
1 container of cottage cheese
2 cans of enchilada sauce
1 and ½ cups of shredded cheese (your choice)
½ of an onion
½ of a bell pepper
1 can of corn
Season to taste (fresh ground black pepper, red pepper flakes and garlic powder)



Begin by boiling lightly salted water for the pasta.  Cook the pasta until it is al dente, and drain off the excess water.  While the pasta is boiling, begin sautéing the onion and pepper in a little bit of extra virgin olive oil.  (Note: you can opt out of using fresh onion and bell pepper for a can of fiesta corn.  It is all personal preference and/or whatever you have on hand!)

In a large bowl, combine the cottage cheese, shredded cheese, corn, sautéed onion and bell pepper and any seasonings of your choice. 

Once the pasta is cool to touch, begin filling the shells with the cheese and corn mixture.
 
 

Top the filled shells with the enchilada sauce, and bake at 350º F for around 20-25 minutes, or until bubbly. 
 

I usually serve a green salad on the side with a few tortilla chips, but Spanish rice and/or refried or black beans would be great as well!


If you decide to make these Mexican Cheese and Corn Stuffed Pasta Shells (which I hope you do!), let me know what you think!  I’d love to hear your thoughts!
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Just pinned this!! I can get behind any kind of pasta!! This is such a good idea...thanks for sharing it!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete